I have wanted a hamper stool for quite some time now. I failed to find one I wanted to buy, so I designed one for myself. The render above shows how I imagined it will look. However, today I changed my mind.
I was 3 hours into a 10 hour print on my Prusa clone when the filament became lodged in the throat between the extruder motor and aluminum block leading to the hot end. After I removed the jammed filament, I took the filament spool off the reel and put it in a box to return it along with the another spool I purchased. I was planning to use the other spool as one of the colors for the hamper. Now I think I will change the front to something similar to what inspired the hamper design.
When I saw the art piece on the left, it expanded my thoughts on what could be done with PLA filament. I use PLA only for printing in my space because it is non-toxic. There are so many items in my living area that are toxic, I just don’t like the idea of creating things that contribute to poor air quality.
My original design involved placing narrow, colored, spiral vase printed canisters inside holders that are connected together with bolts. I think now that I may use the idea for another project. It will take a while to print sections for the bottom of the hamper; about a week or so. That gives me plenty of time to think of something else.
Part 1 is now on Tinkercad. I will post about the other parts as I make them. The diagram to the right shows the positions of the parts I will be printing. I will connect the 4 wood dowels at the top with .25 x 1.5 Poplar boards to which I will attach a hinge and a 12″ by 17″ pine board I have leftover from a past project. The parts will be connected with .5″ wood dowels and 3d printed braces. It sounds a little odd mostly because it is a little odd. I think it will work (fingers crossed).